Friday, April 22, 2011

The King and I

            
"When did the defects start?" 
           "I've, always b-been this way."  
"I doubt that." 
"Don't tell me, it's my stammer!"
"It's my field. I can assure you, no infant starts with a stammer." 


    My mother and I just recently watched the critically acclaimed picture, The Kings Speech. It was a beautiful, heart wrenching, masterpiece of a movie. It will make you cry, make you laugh, and inspire you to do something better with your life. I loved it. It was a wonderful tale about two people of totally different classes defying all odds.  
      This movie made a greater impact me, than it might on others, however. When I face this scary yet exciting new monster called College next year, I plan on studying Speech Therapy. So, naturally, this movie, which is all about speech therapy, would be appealing to me. 
    This blog is not to be a movie review. There is a reason why I so much loved The Kings Speech, and there is a reason why I would like to be a Speech Therapist. The reason is the same. 
     Your Voice. 
    Those who know me, know I am quite possibly one of the chattiest girls you will ever meet. If you don't think so, then maybe you don't really know me as well as you thought. I always have something to say, and am thankful that I have the ability to say it. I want to be a Speech Therapist so that every one has the chance to express themselves, to declare who they truly are. 
      What makes me sad, though, is when people have a voice, and yet, they do not use it. Who you are, your personality, your quirks, your charm, your defects, they all add up essentially to what makes you so magnificent. People with speech impediments feel more nervous to elucidate themselves, because, quite frankly, they "can't talk right". I have found, throughout my short seventeen years, people tend to take on impediments to avoid being who they really are.  
    Now, I am not speaking of literally impediments, but imagined ones. Fears. Perhaps you do not think you are good enough, so you take on an
"Excessive Worker" lisp. Or, you think that you are too "good" or too "bad" for people to like you; so you take on a "Morally Ambiguous" tongue. The possibilities of "illness'" are endless.  
    If you have seen Glee, you know in the first season that Tina pretended to have a lisp to "get out of things". To avoid challenges, to avoid being shot down. I think a lot of us, myself included, also take on "lisps" for this very same reason. Though, unlike The Duke of York, we are more easily cured. 
     Take courage in who you are. In the beauty and wonder God ( or whomever you believe) created you to be. You are absolutely who you are supposed to be. Do not be afraid to be who you are. Whether you are a really good girl, some nerdy guy, the coolest boy in school, or whomever, don't EVER be afraid to let your light shine. Let your "voice" be heard. Never stop being you. You are much to precious, to beautiful to hide your light. As long as you are truly being you,  than no matter your Voice, your song will be sweet. 


Raise your voice, 
Olive :)
     

No comments:

Post a Comment