Sunday, February 13, 2011

Learning From the Young Part Two


  
 This has been an incredible weekend. So much has happened, and I have to say, it has been one of my favorite weekends so far. I have learned so much, and I hope that I imparted some wisdom as well. It went from catastrophe, to nervousness, beauty, and escalated to incredible. That's the best way to describe this weekend; incredible. That one word has so many connotations, and now it describes the life I live. Incredible.  
    I started this weekend with Noah's Second Coming-our house was flooded. I was the first one to discover it, and it was not a pretty sight. It was two inches high, and there was no visible sign of leaking. I could not find it anywhere- I didn't know what to do. I took it as meaning that this weekend was going to be horrid- a bad omen. How amazing it is that God want's to prove me wrong. 
    I was selected to be a leader for a program at our church called Extreme Faith- it's kind of like DNOW, but for fifth and sixth graders. It's awesome. However, I was really nervous about it. I'm not ever the "cool" leader, not to mean I am disliked. I'm just more of the serious one, and usually forced to take the disciplinary role. This weekend was no different, but I was so blessed this weekend. I had an amazing group of sixth grade girls. 
   Even though I was the one teaching them, they taught me as well. It always seems to work out that way. This weekend, we were learning about total sacrifice- giving your life to God every day. I expected them to shut down, but instead they were open, and honest. They weren't afraid to share about the mistakes they made, and when they needed help. That was the first thing they taught me- total submission. If we are afraid of our own mistakes, how can we not let them defeat us? They had a hunger to learn, and were just beautiful girls, from inside out. Lot's of good people try to live "outside in", trying to do good things for the World, but never quite feeling full. With God, you live inside out- you're amount of self worth comes from the inside, and as a result it changes the outside. You may  not believe in that sort of thing, but that's what these girls had. It was a good reminder. I needed that. 
     The second lesson was from my best friend, who is a year younger then me. She had also been doing Extreme Faith this weekend, and those preteens know how party! We were both exhausted. While she would be going home to a dry home, I was dealing with the Titanic. I needed a place to stay Saturday night, and as soon as I asked, she said yes. She didn't even pause to think. She could have said "I have been gone all weekend, my mom wants me to stay home", or "I really need to get some rest". Instead, she let me come over, and it was one of the best evenings I have had in a long time. All we did was hang with her mom, watch movies, drive around with Hollyan, and use running water ( which I didn't realize I'd miss until I didn't have it) I'm not always around for this girl, due to schedules, and her being so popular and busy all the time, but when I needed something she took me in. No question. That- that right there- that's Love. Not storybook, mushy gushy love, but True Love, the kind Christians talk about, Muslims talk about, Jews talk about, the kind that has no bounds. The kind of Love that can change lives; that does change lives. It is a powerful lesson, and one that has to be experienced to be fully understood. 
    The third lesson came in the most unexpected of places, but then again, it usually does. So just hear me out on this one. Today I went to see Never Say Never 3D, and as a true "belieber",  I died. It was fantastic. However, there is something about Justin Bieber I did not realize. It might just shake you up, so don't skip this. Justin was unknown to the world a year and half ago. He was just some small town Canadian, who sang on YouTube. He stayed diligent to his faith, and would have lived a great life. However, other plans were in store for him. He was given a gift, and rather you like him or not, talent is talent. He  did unbelievable things, like selling out MSG, or performing 86 shows in one year, and counting. After only being famous for a YEAR AND HALF, which would be incredible enough for any adult, but he's only sixteen years old.  
     Sure, you may argue, it's his hair flip, cute smile, or baby face that wins the ladies. However, his success, and his lasting power, can go back to the one  who He gives thanks. His song Pray actually does that. His success is a blessing, and just as easily can be taken away from him. He knows that, and it is applicable to our lives as well. I know, I'm going all "Christian" on you, but I don't apologize. I fully believe in Inside Out as opposed to Outside In. If you want to be full, you can. No matter who you are, and where you come from. No matter if you have questions, or a skeptic. There is a way to shake up the world, and if we all tapped into it, just THINK how incredible our lives would be. 
     My life is incredible. Is yours? Do you want it to be, or are you afraid you aren't good enough? A Justin Bieber is one in a million. But so is an Olivia Myers. I have been given talents, and I use them from the Inside Out. We all have some kind of talent, and if we harnessed the idea of using them from the Inside Out, you would change the world. YOU. And you would be happy. That, i promise you. 


Never Say Never,
Olive :)

No comments:

Post a Comment